Hunting Boards

a meeting place for hunters, houndsmen and outdoorsmen...

how far north in Wisconsin to find Snowshoe hare

Covers all aspects of Rabbit Hunting and Beagles.

Moderators: oakhill, Moderators

Postby Funky Funk » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 pm

does anybody know how far north in Wisconsin you need to go to find snow shoe hare?
Funky Funk

Sponsor

Our site sponsors make this website possible. Please consider giving them a shot at your business. Thank you very much for visiting.

Snowshoe hare

Postby Funky Funk » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:17 pm

Oh, also how bad is it as far as the wolves up north Wisconsin. Do I have to worrie alot about wolves ? Thanks!!
Funky Funk

Postby Run! Rabbit Run! » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:42 pm

You have to get north of Merrill to get into good Hare populations. Every where north of Merrill has wolves. They are every where in the northern 1/3 of the state. I haven't had any problems with wolves attacking my dogs, but it is always a possibility when running up here. Other people have had thier hunting dogs killed by wolves. It's to bad, but it is a risk that you must be willing to take to hunt in northern Wisconsin. I know of people who have quit hunting because of them. If your going to hunt up here I would suggest to, have your dogs deer broke, keep them hunting close, make alot of noise, put bells or beepers on your dogs, and always carry a gun.
Run! Rabbit Run!

Postby takedown » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:24 pm

The hare population starts around Mosinee area. There are some good areas that are public with good number of hare and cottontail. As far as Wolves, they are all over and you need to be cautious any were you run. I will drive around a section and look for any fresh wolf tracks before hunting an area. But even doing that be aware of were your dogs are at all times. I always run with bells and the tracking collars. Gotta thank the Wisconsin DNR for this one. :spank:
takedown

Wisconsin

Postby Funky Funk » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:34 am

Thankyou for the info I have a big decision to make I guess!!!!!
Funky Funk

Postby Hoytman » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:00 am

The DNR posts areas that have had previous problems with wolves so at least you know what areas to stay away from. The other areas are all a gamble.
"Without humor, nothing would seem funny"
Hoytman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jackpinesavage » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:41 pm

The were just taken off the endangered species list here in MI. Way too late.... you have to remember your state DNR is hog tied on that issue, they do not make the endangered species list.
jackpinesavage

Postby Will M. » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:03 pm

Here is a list of hot areas of known trouble spot's to avoid. While you can run into them all over the north these are known haunts of various packs of wolves.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/er/mammals/wolf/dogdepred2006.htm
Will M.

Postby Otis » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:05 am

I hunted Sawyer County this weekend. Four guys, 6 dogs. We walked the area we planned to hunt prior to releasing the dogs. We were loud, shot the guns some, saw no wolf sign. In past years I hunted Sawyer County almost every weekend. This was my first trip of 07. I was apprehensive but all went well. Good luck with your decision.
My goal in life is to be a person as good as my dog already thinks I am.
Otis
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby bull boy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:43 am

funky funk there are pockets of hare around black river falls but i know the area they are in and there is apack of wolves there also down by pittsville in what they call pray there are also several wolves there also
bull boy

Return to Rabbit Hunting & Beagling